Author Topic: If Rodgers were lost for the season, would the season be "toast"?  (Read 3434 times)

Offline ricky

• All Conference
I believe it is generally accepted on here that "As Aaron Rodgers goes, so go the Packers". The extension of this belief is that if AR went down for the season or an extended period of time (10 or more games, say), the Packers could effectively forfeit the rest of the season, because without AR, they wouldn't be competitive. Some examples of other teams who have faced the loss of a starting QB might be the start of some discussion. So, here we go.

Tom Brady had a season ending knee injury in (I believe) the first game of the season a few years ago. In came his unknown backup, Matt Cassell. The Pats could have been expected to really stink with the loss of their franchise QB. Instead, they had a very respectable season. Who woulda thunk it?

Brady himself replaced the Pats franchise QB Drew Bledsoe when Bledsoe was injured for a few games. They did OK, and the next year, NE traded Bledsoe to Buffalo (a division rival!) and made Brady the starting QB. A move that looked very stupid turned out to be incredibly shrewd. Who would thunk it?

In '99, Trent Green was the starting QB for the St. Louis Rams, who were considered to be serious SB contenders that year. Green was lost for the year in an exhibition game. His replacement, the then unknown Kurt Warner, stepped in. The result: "The Greatest Show on Turf"; two SB appearances in two years, with one victory and one loss. Who would thunk it?

Earlier, back in '92, Don Majowski was the Packers adored QB, the "Majik Man". He went down with an injury early in the season, and on came the unknown Brett Favre, recently gotten from the Falcons. The result: the Packers became a relevant and rising team for years. Who would thunk it?

Last year, Alex Smith was the steady game managing QB of the 49ers. The team had made the NFC championship game the previous season, and seemed poised for another SB run. Then Smith gets hurt, and in comes the unknown Colin Kaepernick. The 49ers quickly made him the starting QB, and were literally yards away from a SB win. Who woulda thunk it?

So, the question is obvious. If Rodgers were to be unavailable for most of the season, and Graham Harrell were pressed into service, would the Packers suddenly become a league laughing stock? Cellar dwellers for that season? Late night talk show punchlines? Personally, I'm not so sure. I think the team would rally around Harrell, and the Packers would have a respectable season, and quite possibly make the playoffs.

Though I really, really, really, really, really hope I never have to find out if this is true or not.
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like... victory."

Offline realitybytes

• ALL PRO
Re: If Rodgers were lost for the season, would the season be "toast"?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 10:26:43 PM »
 rofl1

you said all that with a straight face, right?

rofl1
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Offline golfman

• ALL PRO
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 10:49:18 PM »
The season would be complete toast. Graham Harrell wouldn't win many games in the arean league much less the NFL.

Online GBP4EVER!

• HOF
  • Proud Owner of the Green Bay Packers
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 10:52:15 PM »
The season would be complete toast. Graham Harrell wouldn't win many games in the arean league much less the NFL.
If Rodgers got hurt before the pre-season started Packers would go 0-20 including pre-season. Yes Graham Harrell is that bad. Though I hope TT would not be that dumb and would sign the first vet he could find. I just hope Harrell does not make the team. When you can't make a CFL team you should not be on a NFL team.

Offline Bud

• ALL PRO
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 10:58:56 PM »

I wonder how many times he would trip over his own/or centers feet if he had a whole season to work with?
“Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.” ~ Dan Gable

Online GBP4EVER!

• HOF
  • Proud Owner of the Green Bay Packers
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 11:14:18 PM »
I blame Harrell being on the roster more at MM then TT. I think MM wanted him on the roster because MM is so smug (IMO) he thinks he can turn any pile of crap QB into a good one.

Offline diesel

• ALL PRO
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 11:21:23 PM »
If Rodgers got hurt before the pre-season started Packers would go 0-20 including pre-season. Yes Graham Harrell is that bad. Though I hope TT would not be that dumb and would sign the first vet he could find. I just hope Harrell does not make the team. When you can't make a CFL team you should not be on a NFL team.
Given that Rodgers gets sacked a tremondous amount, wouldnt it be wise to have a back up that one could trust?

Offline golfman

• ALL PRO
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 11:29:15 PM »
I wonder how many times he would trip over his own/or centers feet if he had a whole season to work with?

That play almost had me kicked off the other board permanently! LOL

I wonder if the other kid we drafted last year has a chance to beat him out if the competition is fair.

Offline lewk

• All Conference
  • 2013 GBPackeraddicts Draft Guru
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 12:15:47 AM »
I don't think we can fully judge how Harrell would preform from the very small number of snaps he's had so far.

That said, we still have to expect the drop-off from losing Rodgers to be huge. He's the best player in the league. Most of the QBs you mentioned that were injured were good, but not on the Elite level Rodgers is.

Offline diesel

• ALL PRO
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 12:30:54 AM »
That play almost had me kicked off the other board permanently! LOL

I wonder if the other kid we drafted last year has a chance to beat him out if the competition is fair.
Lol, go take a peek at the last page of the Brad Jones thread over there today. Owner of the site is berating one of his members for questioning Ted Thompson.